Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Ears Are Burning.

Today I checked out an article written in "Shockwave Magazine" by RQ.  Everyone should be following this publication, they have a productive attitude towards change and that is all I could ask for from anyone.  Check out the article HERE.  I can't help but to feel that this is at least in some small way a response to my "Baby Steps" posting on this blog.  I know that sounds kinda self centered at first, but someone from the magazine commented on my link to this blog, so I know someone from that magazine read what I had to say.  I liked the Shockwave article, I think we are both after the same goal but I feel like I've been misunderstood by a lot of people. I need to clear the air.  This blog was never intended to be about me, so it kinda sucks that I even have to go through this explanation.  I wrote that blog based partly on my experiences, heavily on the gripes I hear from other musicians and with a HUGE dose of sarcasm.  I've been around, I know how things work.  I played in a rock/metal act doing the ticket sale/promoter/club circuit for a few years.  For the past 3 years I've been in a band that has never taken a show selling tickets, we play basements, DIY venues, art spaces, etc.  We've built a great network of bands we have become friends with by talking to anyone and everyone at every show.  This blog would not even be possible if I weren't going to shows as well. I do get it.  Thing is, it's not about me.  It's not about my success.  It's about our success.  Prosperity to me comes from cultivating your surroundings and rising to a new level because you've brought everything and everyone around you up to a new level.  I am in no way looking for any animosity with the guys from Shockwave, I just really can't handle people seeing me as a do nothing complainer.  We're after the same thing, trying to inspire more people to take part in their own communal destiny.  I'm an ally, let's work together to build a stronger metal community. 

Go "Like" Shockwave Magazine on Facebook to stay informed on all the good stuff they have going on.


That being said, I went to the Abigail Williams show this past Saturday.  Unfortunately my camera guy got a paying gig so I have no pictures for you.  I showed up late and missed the first 2 bands.  I hate that I did that but shit happens.  You should still take a little time to go check them both out, they were Illuminations and And Then They Bled.  The first band I actually got to see was New Jersey's Fall Of Man.  If you like seeing a big fat guy take his clothes off and caress the shit out of himself while singing metal, this is your shit.  Musically they weren't bad, not my thing but I have nothing bad to say about them.  They also seemed to bring a decent number of people out, which is very cool for a traveling band.  Next up was probably the best set of the night as far as the crowd is concerned.  The drummer of Bury The Memories was celebrating his birthday complete with a cake shaped like a drum set.  These guys were cool, standard deathcore but done well.  Seemed to be the best audience response of the night.  Next up was Torture Therapy from Cumberland, Maryland.  I liked these guys a lot.  Good ol' death metal complete with the second coming of Corpsegrinder doing vocals.  Unfortunately this is when the show kinda went south.  It was getting a little late, we were now 5 bands into the show and people started to leave.  I have major respect for the guys in Torture Therapy for very obviously cutting their set short to move things along.  Not many people saw it, but they were good.  Following them was Baltimore based metal quartet Butcher's Hill.  These guys always bring the heavy and Paul is one of the most intense guitar players you'll see.  I'm friends with thee dudes so I won't spend a lot of time kissing their asses but they a legitimately worth checking out.  They were the only band of the night to mention any kind of CD and it's free so hit them up for a copy.  People reappeared for this set, which was good to see.  The last act of the night was of course Abigail Williams.  By this time the show was over.  It sucks but there were only a few people left, I hadn't eaten dinner yet and I just wasn't going to enjoy the set either way.  I've seen them before, if for some strange reason you don't know who they are you should check them out if you dig black metal.  I apologize for this being a half assed show recap and a half assed show attendence.  I put what time and money I had into going to this show and for me, the effort was enough.  I did what I could to support my community.  I thank those of you who put the effort out there just as well and those of you who do not I hope to see you doing so very soon.  The next show I will be attending will be Feb 11 at Overlea Station so that's where you can find me if you wanna tell me what a whiny bitch I am or punch me in the face or something.  As long a it gets you out to a show.  It's also a place where you can get cheap boh, good food and hear a lineup of really good metal bands.  Check out the info HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment